Media Law Institute was founded on February 1, 2005. Since then we work on shaping positive environment, ondeveloping of powerful civic society in Ukraine, on ensuring rights for freedomof information and freedom of speech, on principal state authorities’transparency and its accountability to the society.
During this time we managed:
- To reach openness of VerkhovnaRada’s sessions for citizens’ visits;
- To achieve disclosure of MPs’declarations through strategic judicial proceedings;
- To push society to positivechanges through joint civic initiatives, among which are: Reanimation Package of Reforms(where Media Law Institute maintains common coordination of the initiative andcoordination of media reforms group), civic movement CHESNO, movement Stopcensorship!, coalition Tobacco Free Ukraine, civic campaign New Citizen;
- To create a number of Laws forpositive changes in Ukrainian society and to achieve adoption of the part ofthem. These Laws are, in particular:
- The Law of Ukraine “On Public Televisionand Radio Broadcasting of Ukraine” (2014);
- The Law of Ukraine “On Accessto Public Information” (2011) and new version of the Law of Ukraine “On Information”(with amendments as of 2011);
- The Law of Ukraine “On Amendingof Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Improving Certain Provisions on LimitingPlaces for Smoking” (2012), known also as “the Law on Smoking Ban in Public Places”;
- The Law of Ukraine “On Introductionof Changes into Certain Legislative Acts of Ukraine on Prohibition of Advertising,Sponsorship and Sales Promotion of Tobacco Goods” (2012), known also as “theLaw on cigarettes advertising ban”.
We also held 10 Summer schools, 9 of which being international, for participantsfrom 11 countries, many distant courses and trainings, and met a lot of greatand strong in spirit people who are able to change the world for better!
We are extremely grateful to everyone who supported us for all these years!We have a lot of achievements ahead!