On April 20, 2022, an introductory online workshop “Legal Issues Related to the Activities of CSOs from Other Countries” took place on the Zoom platform. The event was organized by ISAR Ednannia and CEDEM in partnership with the European Center for Non-Profit Law Stichting within the activities of the Ukraine Civil Society Sectoral Support Activity.
The purpose of the event was to present important aspects of CSO registration abroad, establishment of representative offices, relocation of staff and organization of office work, opening accounts in foreign banking institutions, selection issues, to promote CSO activities outside Ukraine, scale up activities, increase opportunities for their sustainable development and operation, as well as more effective networking with foreign non-profit organizations.
The workshop brought together more than 40 participants who had the opportunity to pose questions to the experts which are of primary concern to them in the context of activities in another country.
ECNL expert Ivana Rosenzweigov gave a presentation on the issues to be considered when deciding to relocate CSOs abroad and presented useful resources that CSOs could do with.
Particular attention should be paid to information resources from ECNL, which were presented at events that provide information on activities in the countries of interest to CSOs, in particular:
- Comparative table with the key information on the legal aspects of establishing CSOs in selected European countries: https://ecnl.org/publications/legal-profiles-registration-and-operation-csos;
- Information on opening bank accounts for CSOs and their use by CSOs in selected European countries: European Banking Guide for Nonprofits | ECNL: https://ecnl.org/publications/european-banking-guide-nonprofits;
- Platform for free legal aid in selected European countries UA.SUPPORT: https://www.ua.support/;
- Handbook on Registering a Civil Society Organization (CSO) – New Volume out now | ECNL: https://ecnl.org/publications/handbook-civil-society-organisations-registration-and-operation;
- Information on migration issues for Ukrainians in selected European countries: Information for People Coming from Ukraine – PILnet: https://www.pilnet.org/resource/immigration-guidance/.
The introductory workshop “Legal Issues Related to the Activities of CSOs from Other Countries” can be considered a good and productive basis for Ukrainian CSOs that are planning or have already started registration abroad. The event has significantly increased the awareness of Ukrainian CSO representatives of this issue and will further help them to expand their activities.